Tomato Chutney is one of my personal favorites to have with a piping hot, melt in the mouth, Idlis. This Tomato Chutney is a play of the tanginess from the tomatoes and sweetness from the jaggery. The lentils give it a nice body and texture. Although this Tomato Chutney takes longer than Coconut Chutney, it is completely worth the wait!
Tangy Tomato Chutney
- 1 tablespoon urad dal dehusked black gram lentils
- 1 tablespoon channa dal yellow split peas
- 1 tablespoon oil vegetable
- 2 piece dry red chilies
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves
- 5 tomatoes roughly chopped.
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon jaggery
- In a pan, take some urad dal, chana dal, mint leaves, and red chili. Saute till the dals become golden brown.
- Add the roughly chopped tomatoes in them and saute it.
- Cook till the tomatoes leave the water.
- Add salt, jaggery, and turmeric powder. Mix everything well.Switch off the stove and let it cool down.
- After it has cooled down, blend the mixture. Do not add any water. It will change the consistency of the chutney.
- Tomato Chutney is ready! A very easy recipe
- Idli, Rava dosa, uttapam, vadas. palak paratha.
- You can make this and store it in the freezer for a month.