I am a fan of brunches. One day I was out with my friends having a lazy Sunday brunch, I thought of experimenting with Egg Shakshuka on the menu. Ever since I’ve been a fan of Egg Shakshuka. The well-balanced sweetness, acidity, and richness just blew my mind away. And pair it crunchy toast or Bagels and coffee and you will find yourself in heaven! I have made Egg Shakshuka so many times at home.
Here goes the recipe:
Egg Shakshuka Recipe
- pan or skillet
- 1 piece egg
- 3/4 cup onions diced
- 3/4 cup tomatoes diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs(dried parsley, oregano,rosemary) optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- Add oil in a skillet or a small pan, add the garlic and saute it
- Add onions, Saute it for 8-10 minutes, so that the sweetness of the onions comes out.
- Then add tomatoes. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add all the spices, salt, cumin powder, chilly powder, and mixed herbs, and mix it well. Let it cook for another 3-4 minutes. The tomatoes will become soft and release water.
- Add milk to it, mix it well.
- Crack an egg in it, cover the pan with a lid and let it cook.
- For runny eggs, cook for approx 4mins. If you don’t want your eggs to be runny cook for longer
- Egg Shakshuka is ready. ( I love it so much I eat it for lunch and dinner as well )
- Egg Shakshuka paired with some buttered toast or Bagels
- You can add a tablespoon of tomato sauce for color.
- You can skip the milk and add one teaspoon of cream, milk/cream makes the gravy have a good texture.
- Generally, Egg Shakshuka is cooked and served in a skillet but if you don’t have skillet a small pan works fine too.