Vegetarian Mexican Rice Recipe | How to make Mexican Rice | Vegetarian Rice Dish
Being an Indian I love spicy food. I got introduced to Mexican rice when I was introduced to rice bowl at Chipolte in the USA. I instantly fell in love with it because the flavors have similarities to Indian rice dished. Mexican Rice is cooked within tomatoes gravy and enhanced with cilantro. Fyi, Cilantro is Coriander. So much so far being fancy! When accompanied with sour cream, salsa, guacamole it hit the top of my favorite rice dishes.
Mexican rice can be a side dish when serving Mexican food! Not only is it simple and takes under 10 minutes to prep, but it’s perfect when served with tacos or you can eat it as a main dish too. So let’s make this amazing Mexican rice/Spanish rice recipe
Mexican rice/Spanish rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup rice
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup onions finely chopped
- 1/3 cup corn
- 1/2 cup coriander/cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder add extra if you want it to be spicy
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
- Wash the rice three times and let it soak for at least 30mins.
- In a pan, take olive oil. Take some garlic and saute it till the raw smell is gone.
- Add onions, corn, and coriander and saute till the onions become transparent.
- Meanwhile, take some chopped tomatoes and make a puree in the blender.
- Add this to the pan, cook till the tomatoes leave some water.
- After that add spices to the pan, salt, cumin powder, chili powder. Mix it well
- Remove the water from the rice and put the soaked rice in the pan. Add about 2 cups of water. (*see notes)
- Mix everything, cover the pan, and let the rice cook
- Garnish the Mexican rice with coriander
- Mexican rice with sour cream, salsa, chips and guacamole.
- You can use a can of tomato puree instead of fresh tomato puree.
- Instead of water, you can use nice vegetable broth to enhance the flavors more.