Biryani is a widely loved rice dish throughout India, especially in Hyderabad. Biryani is an amalgamation of complex intricate flavors that balance out perfectly to produce a well balanced and aromatic dish. Biryani is generally, served with Mirchi ks salan and Raita (Curd chutney). The flavors of biryani and Mirchi ka salan mixed with the refreshing raita will give you an explosion of flavors in your mouth.
So Let’s Start….
- Pressure cooker or pot
For Chicken Marination
- 250 grams boneless chicken
- ½ cup curd Greek or hung curd
- ¾ tablespoon ginger paste
- ¾ tablespoon garlic paste
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala or biryani masala
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 2 leaves bay leaf
- 2 pieces cardamon
- 1 piece cinnamon stick
- 1 piece mace
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds
- 3 pieces clove
- 1 piece star anise
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 medium onions finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 piece green chilies ( de-seeded)
- 1 tablespoon ghee or oil
- Marination and Prep before cooking
- Cut the boneless chicken in small pieces, Add Curd( I like to strain all the extra water from the curd before using it)
- Add all the spices, Salt, Turmeric powder, Chili powder, Corriander powder, Cummin Powder, Garam Masala, Ginger paste, and garlic paste together. Mix it well and let it marinate for an hour.
- Wash the rice for a couple of times(2-3times) and soak it in water for at least 30 mins. (I generally soak the rice the same amount as the chicken)
- After an hour, take a pressure cooker or A pot, add Ghee or oil. Add all the whole spices. (If you don’t have any of the mentioned spices. Just skip it.)
- Add onions and saute them with the whole spices.
- Once the onions become brown in color, then add the marinated chicken into it, mix everything, and let the chicken get cooked.
- It will take approx 5-8 minutes on medium heat.
- Cook till the chicken is tender.
- Add some salt, chilly powder and chilies. Even the chicken out in the pot.
- Remove water from the soaked rice, and layer the rice on the chicken.
- Try and have an even layer.
- Add one cup of water from the center of the pot and add one cup of water from the sides (You add water from the side so that the rice doesn’t get stuck the side of the pot). Make sure the rice has completely emerged in the water.
- If cooking in the pressure cooker, then let it cook till one whistle on a low flame
- If cooking in the pot, cook with a lid on it till the rice is cooked. Do not mix the ingredients while it is cooking. Also, If the rice is not cooked, add more water and let it cook.
- While the rice is cooking, shallow fry some onions till they become crunchy.
- Biryani is generally eaten with Mirchi ka Salan, Raita, and raw onions.
- You can marinate the chicken overnight as well
- If you are unable to soak the rice, cook it for a longer time then. So in the pressure cooker, 2 whistles and in a pot add more half a cup water and let it cook for a longer time.
- You can shallow fry the onions instead of deep-frying them Or you can skip them as well.
- You can make a healthy version by using brown rice, Please soak the rice for longer time ( at least an hour ). Also, add 3 tablespoons of curd to the chicken before adding the rice. This will make sure the chicken is juicy and not dry.