Being an Indian I love spicy food. I got introduced to Mexican rice when I was introduced to rice bowl at Chipolte in the USA. I instantly fell in love with it because the flavors have similarities to Indian rice dished. Mexican Rice is cooked within tomatoes gravy and enhanced with cilantro. Fyi, Cilantro is Coriander. So much so far being fancy! When accompanied with sour cream, salsa, guacamole it hit the top of my favorite rice dishes.
Mexican rice can be a side dish when serving Mexican food! Not only is it simple and takes under 10 minutes to prep, but it’s perfect when served with tacos or you can eat it as a main dish too. So let’s make this amazing Mexican rice/Spanish rice recipe
Mexican rice/Spanish rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup rice
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup onions finely chopped
- 1/3 cup corn
- 1/2 cup coriander/cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder add extra if you want it to be spicy
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
- Wash the rice three times and let it soak for at least 30mins.
- In a pan, take olive oil. Take some garlic and saute it till the raw smell is gone.
- Add onions, corn, and coriander and saute till the onions become transparent.
- Meanwhile, take some chopped tomatoes and make a puree in the blender.
- Add this to the pan, cook till the tomatoes leave some water.
- After that add spices to the pan, salt, cumin powder, chili powder. Mix it well
- Remove the water from the rice and put the soaked rice in the pan. Add about 2 cups of water. (*see notes)
- Mix everything, cover the pan, and let the rice cook
- Garnish the Mexican rice with coriander
- Mexican rice with sour cream, salsa, chips and guacamole.
- You can use a can of tomato puree instead of fresh tomato puree.
- Instead of water, you can use nice vegetable broth to enhance the flavors more.
Laziness is the father of innovation. God bless the lazy soul who invented One-pot meals. These personally are my favorite go-to meals when I am cooking at home. One-pot meals are so easy to make and it comes with the added advantage of washing fewer utensils. What a relief during these lock-down times. So here is a recipe for amazing flavored full of veggie rice dish that I grew up eating at home. This one-pot rice meal is very wholesome and delicious. Here we go!
One-Pot Veggie Rice
- Pressure Cooker Or Pan
- ¼ cup onions finely chopped
- ¼ cup capsicum finely chopped
- ¼ cup potatoes finely chopped
- 2 pieces chilies finely chopped
- ¼ cup green peas
- 5-6 pieces curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chilly powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- In a pressure cooker or a pan.Put some oil and add mustard seeds, wait for it to crackle.
- Then add some curry leaves. Let it sizzle for a minute
- Add all the vegetables in the pan, saute for 5mins. Let the vegetables be cooked till it becomes soft and tranparent.
- Add washed rice to it, Add 1 ½ cup of water.
- Add salt,turmeric and chilly powder to it.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and let it cook till the pressure cooker whistles twice.
- If cooking in a pan – cover it with a lid and cook it till the rice cooks.
- Garnish the rice with coriander and one-pot rice meal is ready to eat!
- You can eat the one-pot rice meal with raita or any pickle.
- You can add any vegetables you like in the one-pot rice meal.
- The one-pot rice meal can be cooked with either red rice or brown rice as well. Tastes the same.
Biryani is a widely loved rice dish throughout India, especially in Hyderabad. Biryani is an amalgamation of complex intricate flavors that balance out perfectly to produce a well balanced and aromatic dish. Biryani is generally, served with Mirchi ks salan and Raita (Curd chutney). The flavors of biryani and Mirchi ka salan mixed with the refreshing raita will give you an explosion of flavors in your mouth.
So Let’s Start….
- Pressure cooker or pot
For Chicken Marination
- 250 grams boneless chicken
- ½ cup curd Greek or hung curd
- ¾ tablespoon ginger paste
- ¾ tablespoon garlic paste
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala or biryani masala
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 2 leaves bay leaf
- 2 pieces cardamon
- 1 piece cinnamon stick
- 1 piece mace
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds
- 3 pieces clove
- 1 piece star anise
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 medium onions finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 piece green chilies ( de-seeded)
- 1 tablespoon ghee or oil
- Marination and Prep before cooking
- Cut the boneless chicken in small pieces, Add Curd( I like to strain all the extra water from the curd before using it)
- Add all the spices, Salt, Turmeric powder, Chili powder, Corriander powder, Cummin Powder, Garam Masala, Ginger paste, and garlic paste together. Mix it well and let it marinate for an hour.
- Wash the rice for a couple of times(2-3times) and soak it in water for at least 30 mins. (I generally soak the rice the same amount as the chicken)
- After an hour, take a pressure cooker or A pot, add Ghee or oil. Add all the whole spices. (If you don’t have any of the mentioned spices. Just skip it.)
- Add onions and saute them with the whole spices.
- Once the onions become brown in color, then add the marinated chicken into it, mix everything, and let the chicken get cooked.
- It will take approx 5-8 minutes on medium heat.
- Cook till the chicken is tender.
- Add some salt, chilly powder and chilies. Even the chicken out in the pot.
- Remove water from the soaked rice, and layer the rice on the chicken.
- Try and have an even layer.
- Add one cup of water from the center of the pot and add one cup of water from the sides (You add water from the side so that the rice doesn’t get stuck the side of the pot). Make sure the rice has completely emerged in the water.
- If cooking in the pressure cooker, then let it cook till one whistle on a low flame
- If cooking in the pot, cook with a lid on it till the rice is cooked. Do not mix the ingredients while it is cooking. Also, If the rice is not cooked, add more water and let it cook.
- While the rice is cooking, shallow fry some onions till they become crunchy.
- Biryani is generally eaten with Mirchi ka Salan, Raita, and raw onions.
- You can marinate the chicken overnight as well
- If you are unable to soak the rice, cook it for a longer time then. So in the pressure cooker, 2 whistles and in a pot add more half a cup water and let it cook for a longer time.
- You can shallow fry the onions instead of deep-frying them Or you can skip them as well.
- You can make a healthy version by using brown rice, Please soak the rice for longer time ( at least an hour ). Also, add 3 tablespoons of curd to the chicken before adding the rice. This will make sure the chicken is juicy and not dry.